Less than 24 hours after Satyamev Jayate was launched it has 600,000 likes on its Facebook page and is No.2 on Twitter #Trends for India. Its going to be India's top TV show, ever.
It's not at 9 pm prime time and nor is it about making pre-adolescent children dress up and dance like promiscuous adults, it's not saas-bahu mirchi masala, its not about riding bikes or getting laid, its not IPL, its not a franchised game show that offers lots of money, and everybody was fully clothed through out the 90 minute episode. It does have Dirty Pictures, but these were of another kind - of the filth that lies below the smile of India Shining. The kind of stuff that is dangerous for a famous Khan to be messing around with.
But this Khan is different. Everytime you think you have got his number, he goes and completely scrambles it and comes up with a whole new source code. This star just keeps re-innventing himself, keeps getting re-born. Its got to take enormous courage to do what he is doing with his 11 am Sunday morning slot, but if the first episode is anything to go by it's his enormous preparation and eye for detail at work. Here are 10 things I noticed which I think were NOT accidental:
1. Emotional Set-up around "Maa" not "Daughter". Man this was a masterpiece.
2. Casting to represent all rungs all sides of society. These ladies could express themselves without being over the top.
3. Powerful use of Data especially to make the point : "It's not the poor labourers and villagers guys, its you who are the murderers."
4. Candid camera footage to shock and visually establish proof
5. Taking suggestive route rather than rabble rousing; constantly reinforcing allegiance to the law and saying "we are not the judges"
6. Bringing in examples of hope from that village in Punjab.
7. The Chiriya song was an absolute killer; broke the monotony and gave time to reflect.
8. Stayed away from hype. Bringing in experts who were real folks doing real work, and believable.
9. Demanded ownership by invoking the power-is-with-you "jaadu ki charri"
10. Stuck his neck out to personally take action and write that letter
My Favourite Tweet this morning:
He changed the meaning of Word Idiot. Now he has changed the Idiot box. Well done Aamir.